How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Do Pilots like Legal Eagles?  (Read 21456 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Do Pilots like Legal Eagles?
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »
Mike Ward tries #33 on for size

Offline rockiedog2

Re: Do Pilots like Legal Eagles?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
Unlike some very popular types the Legal Eagle is truly a pilot's airplane. I like to call it The Purist's Delight. It's all about pure stick and rudder uncomplicated by...anything.  I have been privileged to fly many different types and the Legal Eagle is right up there with the *most* satisfying to fly(like the Pitts Special...just as satisfying...in a different way of course). The ailerons are a little heavy but one gets used to that in short order. It is an excellent teacher...I'm still learning from it. The key to a really enjoyable plane is first of all KEEP IT FANATICALLY LIGHT and next is RIG IT PERFECT. Yes, perfect...not almost perfect. The real satisfaction comes in the last halfa percent of rigging. That really "hooked up feel"...nothing else like it.
Happy Flying
Spencer

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »
Mike looks good in that plane.  Look at that smile - and still sitting on the ground.

Tom H
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline Frankh

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
They sure catch the attention of both follow pilots and the nonflying community.  I've truly enjoyed mine.  It keeps you humble...not that it's at all ill behaved, it can get your heart pumping should you get too low and too sloppy. The quote that fits... "easy to fly, but a challenge to fly well..." from an about to be retired ole' tym'r (sixty-61 said to be the new 39?) Started flying in the family Stinson 108-2, then some aero in a rented Citrabria, before joint ownership in J-3 Cub. The following decades went the other direction...Beechcraft Debonair (still own/fly...cross country.)  LEU-55L first flew in Oct 2005. It's been very educational...I miss the building...fond memories indeed.  It's brought back the Low & Slow... crow hops to/from local grass strips, with an occasional yet intentional "non-approved runway" landing and takeoff.  In short...it's been FUN!
 - There by first post on this new site.

Offline GI_John

• John
  • Ready to build
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
  • Eagle Type: XL or LE
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »
So this is a question for the more senior flyers out there.  Would you recommend a LE as a first plane?  Now don't misunderstand me.  There will be lots of formal flight training first but an Ultralight is perfect for my budget and the thought of the countless hours of pleasure building it is priceless.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:50:44 PM »
So this is a question for the more senior flyers out there.  Would you recommend a LE as a first plane?  Now don't misunderstand me.  There will be lots of formal flight training first but an Ultralight is perfect for my budget and the thought of the countless hours of pleasure building it is priceless.

If you use the resources of your local EAA chapter and the support found here when you hit a road block on the type, the XL model single seater is your best value... If you work daily on some aspect of the build and are able to manage bringing a number of concurrent activities together, the project for a novice will take 2 years and an organized hobbyist less than a year... Read Sam Buchanan's website from top to bottom in that order to get a sense of it: http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/legaleagleXL/

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »
This is an impossible question to answer for all of us because you have not yet started flying. With no flying background, you don't yet have a realistic idea of the mission profile of your first plane.

Do you want to go anywhere or just fly around the general area?

How fast/high to you want to fly?

Do you want to fly in the wind or just on calm evenings?

What is your tolerance for flying in turbulence?

Will you be satisfied with not sharing a flight with a passenger?

A biggie....will you have access to a very light aircraft for training in preparation for flying an XL?

Etc...etc...etc........

I always recommend prospective builders to accumulate some flying time before beginning a project. There is no point in starting a plane that isn't going to match your mission profile that can be firmed up only after you have accumulated some time in the air in various environments.

The XL is a dandy little plane....if it matches what you expect from your first plane.

Enjoy window shopping!  :)

Offline GI_John

• John
  • Ready to build
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
  • Eagle Type: XL or LE
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
Sam, thanks for the reply.  In a separate e-mail you  addressed my biggest problem.  Flight capabilities at approx 9300 msl.  I just want to fly around the county.  Low and slow is just grand  in my book.  I want to avoid the work/ licensing of an LSA.    I have spent time in a Zenith 701 LSA and have been up as a passenger in a two seater Quicksilver.  Turbulence don't bother me.  I spent a tour bouncing thru the sky in Blackhawks in the 101st Airborne.  For company, I have my motorcycle.  Flying to me is sanctuary best experienced solo.   I do have regular access to the 2place Quicksilver to accumulate seat time.   Most summer mornings are cool and calm.  

Diminished performance due to density altitude will prohibit me from flying at my home in the mountains of Colorado.  Huge disappointment.  There is a local EAA chapter just east of Colorado Springs but everyone is in an LSA, no ultralights.  They fly out of a field at approx 6500 msl.   I wanted an ultralight to keep at home to avoid transportation / hangar cost and travel time.  Too bad.

Offline s johnson

• Beta testers
  • Scott - aka Slug Musher
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
  • Eagle Type: Standard L/E
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 08:22:47 PM »
Yep.. I love my standard L/E. 37 hp VW. Does just what I want it to do. Low/Slow fun. Great flyer and has everyone looking ever where you go. A real crowd pleaser and just a down right honest airplane to fly.

Scott j.
Oshkosh

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
my biggest problem.  Flight capabilities at approx 9300 msl.  I just want to fly around the county.  Low and slow is just grand  in my book.  I want to avoid the work/ licensing of an LSA.  

Look here:  http://www.basports.net/faqs.ydev The community and product awaits . . .

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:23:44 AM »
Sam, thanks for the reply.  In a separate e-mail you  addressed my biggest problem.  Flight capabilities at approx 9300 msl.  I just want to fly around the county.  Low and slow is just grand  in my book.  I want to avoid the work/ licensing of an LSA.    I have spent time in a Zenith 701 LSA and have been up as a passenger in a two seater Quicksilver.  Turbulence don't bother me.  I spent a tour bouncing thru the sky in Blackhawks in the 101st Airborne.  For company, I have my motorcycle.  Flying to me is sanctuary best experienced solo.   I do have regular access to the 2place Quicksilver to accumulate seat time.   Most summer mornings are cool and calm.  

Diminished performance due to density altitude will prohibit me from flying at my home in the mountains of Colorado.  Huge disappointment.  There is a local EAA chapter just east of Colorado Springs but everyone is in an LSA, no ultralights.  They fly out of a field at approx 6500 msl.   I wanted an ultralight to keep at home to avoid transportation / hangar cost and travel time.  Too bad.
John, your mission profile fits the Eagles very nicely, you would enjoy flying one.

However, your density altitude is a deal breaker. As I stated via private email the direct-drive 1/2 VW just can't produce enough thrust to fly at 9300' with enough safety reserve to handle downdrafts. You need an aircraft with a geared engine and that will take the XL out of Part 103 compliance.

But Steve has given you a good alternative. A trike can fly with a geared engine and is much more portable than an Eagle. Best wishes for finding the magic carpet that can fulfill your dreams!  :)

Offline ParQld

• Beta testers
  • Building DE
  • Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mac OS X 10.8.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 12:12:59 AM »
Unlike some very popular types the Legal Eagle is truly a pilot's airplane. I like to call it The Purist's Delight. It's all about pure stick and rudder uncomplicated by...anything.  I have been privileged to fly many different types and the Legal Eagle is right up there with the *most* satisfying to fly(like the Pitts Special...just as satisfying...in a different way of course). The ailerons are a little heavy but one gets used to that in short order. It is an excellent teacher...I'm still learning from it. The key to a really enjoyable plane is first of all KEEP IT FANATICALLY LIGHT and next is RIG IT PERFECT. Yes, perfect...not almost perfect. The real satisfaction comes in the last halfa percent of rigging. That really "hooked up feel"...nothing else like it.
Happy Flying
Spencer
Joe, when you talk about keeping the LE and DE light, can you give some idea as to achieving this. I am up to Rib 9 with my DE and just wondering what do do along the way. Leonard seems to slap on plenty of glue in the vids so i am doing the same (using tightbond III for ribs T88 for the rest). I assume you don't mean this sort of thing. is there a hit list of things to watch for along the way?

cheers Paul

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal