Epiphone Firebird VII

What's Hot
I see these listed for around £1050-£1150. Is this a good price?

Is the VII that much better than a modern Firebird studio?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    I had a red Epiphone VII years ago - certainly looked cool, played well, let me throw a few guilt-free Phil Manzanera shapes,  etc.

But £1K worth nowadays? Norfolk & Chance. ;)

Quality-wise, a modern “Inspired By” is much better. It’s also neck-through construction, which the VII reissue wasn’t, despite looking sexy.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeckwringerNeckwringer Frets: 357
    A much better alternative is a Korean Tokai Firebird VII,through neck and ultimately more playable
    and should be able to pick one up for around £500-600 new.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31618
    I see these listed for around £1050-£1150. Is this a good price?

I think, having owned and modded a recent Epiphone Firebird, all I would say is "ouch".
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 254
    I sold one (Epi) in as new condition with hard case near the start of lockdown for £650.
    Jim54 said:
    I sold one (Epi) in as new condition with hard case near the start of lockdown for £650.
    Yeah, topping out around the £500 - £600-ish mark sounds about right, IMHO. Do people *really* pay £1K for them?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11822
    I'd never pay £1k for an Epiphone of any description, but that's just me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    You better make sure you like playing them they're the size of a house, way too big for my tastes
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11822
    You better make sure you like playing them they're the size of a house, way too big for my tastes
    Yup.  Not for everyone for sure.  You're always hitting something.
    Offset said:
    I'd never pay £1k for an Epiphone of any description, but that's just me.
    Indeed. I’d love another VII, but not for that money.

• thank you all!
  • A much better alternative is a Korean Tokai Firebird VII,through neck and ultimately more playable
    and should be able to pick one up for around £500-600 new.

Holy mary and joseph, thats INCREDIBLE. I can't seem to find them online anywhere though.
  • That Tokai is stunning. Did they do a Pelham blue one ? 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    I hade a Pelham blue mid-2000s MIK Tokai Firebird III from new a few years ago and it was thoroughly average. Poor pick-ups, mediocre paint job and a really uncomfortable neck shape.

The Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute I now have is infinitely better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I seem to remember a guy having an epiphone firebird years and years ago.. never seen neck dive like it. Hopefully that’s improved, with newer models..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    I seem to remember a guy having an epiphone firebird years and years ago.. never seen neck dive like it. Hopefully that’s improved, with newer models..
    usedtobe said:
    I will let you know I ordered one of the inspired by models. 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Everything I’ve heard about the ‘inspired by’ models, so far, has been positive! I have no hands on experience. I just mentioned the earlier version in passing. I hope it didn’t come across as trying to piss on your new purchase.. thinking about it, it was 20-odd years ago..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I had a red Epiphone VII years ago - certainly looked cool, played well, let me throw a few guilt-free Phil Manzanera shapes,  etc.

Quality-wise, a modern “Inspired By” is much better. It’s also neck-through construction, which the VII reissue wasn’t, despite looking sexy.

Jim54 said:
    Yeah, topping out around the £500 - £600-ish mark sounds about right, IMHO. Do people *really* pay £1K for them?
    @HarrySeven not to derail the OPs thread but after you mentioned the inspired by had the through body construction, I couldn’t resist. My Firebird arrived today and it really is astonishingly great for the money. 

I had a red Epiphone VII years ago - certainly looked cool, played well, let me throw a few guilt-free Phil Manzanera shapes,  etc.

Jim54 said:
    @HarrySeven not to derail the OPs thread but after you mentioned the inspired by had the through body construction, I couldn’t resist. My Firebird arrived today and it really is astonishingly great for the money. 
    That’s great news! Glad you’re happy with it. :D

• I had a red Epiphone VII years ago - certainly looked cool, played well, let me throw a few guilt-free Phil Manzanera shapes,  etc.

Jim54 said:
    I really am, one of the cheaper guitars I’ve bought and it’s as good as more expensive ones. Any idea on a vibrola I could buy ? 

Jim54 said:
    I really am, one of the cheaper guitars I’ve bought and it’s as good as more expensive ones. Any idea on a vibrola I could buy ? 
    Can you link me to the one that you bought please?