What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Oh no! I don't have many Warner snapper cases left (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Like many others, In the early years of DVD I amassed a large number of discs in Warner Bros snapper cases. Over time most of these I've replaced with Blu-ray versions or have disposed of them when purging my collection. I did an inventory recently and was quite shocked to find that I now have only 26 snappers. I find that rather sad because unlike most collectors, I never disliked snappers. That may have been partly because I was buying more Warner titles than any others and so I felt an emotional connection to the overall design. I also particularly liked the snapper because it was manufactured specifically for the film it contained, unlike the generic keep case. I know people used to complain that the cardboard could get damaged and then couldn't be replaced. Well, I don't know what people did with their snapper cases but I never had a single instance of damage of any kind. Anyway, now that I'm down to my last few, I intend to hang onto them, even if I upgrade them to Blu-rays. Hey! Maybe they will become valuable collectors items.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I also thought the snappers were cool. They were so unlike the types of cases used for other media formats, so they gave DVDs a very distinctive look. I don’t think I have many left either (all of my remaining DVDs have been ripped with the actual packaging in storage) but I’ve never had a snapper break and never gotten a damaged one in the mail, and I can’t say that for any other kind of disc packaging.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I still have The Animatrix in a snapper DVD.

I had The Matrix, too, but somehow parted ways with it a couple moves ago. I keep meaning to upgrade those to Blu-ray but haven't gotten around to it yet. For some reason, I managed to keep track of the sequels which I never us anymore, but not the original. The sequels were both keepcases.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I still have the very first DVD I bought, “A Perfect Murder”, which is a snapper. Others I still have include, Camelot, How the West Was Won, Arsenic and Old Lace, High Society, Helen of Troy, Frantic, The Exorcist and Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Yeah, I never understood the hate toward snappers, either. Easy to use, no issues with durability.
I've always disliked the snappers because adjacent cases tend to hang up on the snapper part of the case when I'm returning them to the shelf, and because the cover is glued to the disc hub. However, I still have a couple dozen WB snapper cases left, most of which I'd like to retire for new Blu-rays.

wb-snappers.jpg

---------------

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I still have a bunch of them and they look very nice with the right cover art.
Much better than Blu-ray cases that for the most part force the color blue on every cover, still shaking my head about this idiocy.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I've always disliked the snappers because adjacent cases tend to hang up on the snapper part of the case when I'm returning them to the shelf [snip]

Yeah, I feel the same way. I doubt that I'll ever be rid of all my snappers (I still have untold dozens of them left). If nothing else, I doubt I'll ever be rid of the few Wade Williams Collection titles I have in snappers.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I did not care for them but I did not hate them either. Even though I prefer the standard cases, I have one which I will never part with, which is Superman: The Movie. I was fortunate enough to meet director Richard Donner, and he autographed the outer cardboard for me.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Not sure how many I have left, there are some. I know the last picture I watched that was in a snapper was Bob Fosse's Star 80 which I was hoping Warner Archive would upgrade to a blu.

Star 80.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I find the movie gripping and ultimately tragic, but I refused to buy the DVD with the compromised aspect ratio. Hopefully, a Blu-ray would rectify that problem.

Captain Culpepper

Auditioning
Real Name
T.G.
When "The Pledge" is released I think I'll finally be able to retire my last snapper. That said, I kept all my "Clint Eastwood Collection" snappers because I like the uniformed look of the set (I even found a nice display box to put them all in). And don't tell anybody but I put my blu-rays into the snapper cases! I'm sick, I know, but collecting all those titles including the elusive "The Beguiled" and "In The Line of Fire" was a chore so I'm not eager to part with them.

Lafe F

Second Unit
I liked the bright colorful printing and embossing on snapper cases. Movies in regular cases can get looking scuffed up sooner and harder to appreciate the artwork. But then came slipcovers, which allowed for much artistic expression and vivid display of spine logos on the shelf. I have a few snappers left for movies I'm waiting to upgrade to Blu-ray.

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
Uh oh...We may have been cooped up due to covid a little too long...??? Lovingly staring at wall shelves and counting surviving “snapper cases”...Reminiscing over past disc case cover art...It also looked pretty good on those laserdisc boxed sets...and beta...and...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Only four Warner "snapper" titles left for me that I'm still waiting for Blu-Rays of.

"Arsenic And Old Lace"
"A Star Is Born" (1954-I think I can upgrade this. But is the Warner Archive just bare-bones?)
"Mister Roberts"
"Butterfield 8"

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"A Star Is Born" (1954-I think I can upgrade this. But is the Warner Archive just bare-bones?)

It’s a reprint of the previous version put out by Warner in a digibook, but in a regular case without the book. I believe it had all of the special features from the DVD but doesn’t have anything new that was created just for BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks